Reach Volunteering’s focus is on trusteeship and skills-based volunteering – that is, volunteering that requires specific professional skills in areas such as digital, marketing, management, finance, education, HR, mentoring, IT or fundraising, to name a few.
We ask that our volunteers:
- live in the United Kingdom
- have at least three years of experience using the skills they wish to volunteer in a professional capacity.
Reach Volunteering is a charity supporting charities and other similar organisations. To join your organisation must be:
- Able to demonstrate public benefit
- Based in the United Kingdom.
We have detailed criteria for the different types of organisation we work with.
We only accept opportunities that:
- require three or more years professional experience in one of our skills areas
- are unpaid
- are based in the UK
- are not overly burdensome on the volunteer, these would include roles that don't require the volunteer to undertake more than 15 hours a week (unless it is a short term role) or to line manage paid employees.
We screen all opportunities to make sure they meet and reflect these criteria. For example, opportunity role descriptions should make it clear that the volunteer will need 3+ years professional experience in one of our skills areas, and ideally why.
Our guide to recruiting a volunteer with skills has a specific section on designing your role for success that can help you define and write your opportunity. We also have a number of templates to help get you started.
If your experience, organisation or opportunity doesn’t meet our criteria for skills-based volunteering, why not visit the gov.uk's page on volunteering which lists several avenues for finding volunteers and volunteering opportunities across the UK.