Set up to restore the historic quasi-industrial building, the Trust now makes it available for community use to strengthen social ties, enable community engagement and promote interest in local history. The Gasworks Sudbury was built around 1874. Designed by George Devey, an architect known for his work on English country houses, it produced gas for Sudbury Hall and many houses in the village. The Gasworks was dismantled in the 1930s and quickly fell into disrepair.
Local volunteers formed Sudbury Gasworks Restoration Trust in 2014 to save the building. The project was awarded £1.59m grant funding by the National Lottery Heritage Fund in 2019.
The Derbyshire Grade II listed building, once named a Building at Risk by Derbyshire Historic Building Trust, is now restored. The building includes a drop-in heritage area for visitors and can be hired for events of up to 120 people.
Half of the organisation is focussed on using the beautiful and interesting venue to enable community engagement, social interactions and volunteering. Our aim is to host both daytime and evening educational, social and health opportunities.
The other half works to sustain the organisation and maintain the building through hosting weddings, conferences and commercial rental.