Sandwell Council of Voluntary Organisations (SCVO) is a charitable organisation based in Sandwell which supports Sandwell’s Voluntary and Community Sector, comprised of voluntary-run community groups, charities, not-for-profit businesses, faith communities and social enterprises. SCVO provides the infrastructure to enable the Sector, it’s communities and its beneficiaries to have a strong voice and play a leading role in ensuring all residents have access to the support they need and have their say in shaping Sandwell’s future. SCVO delivers development support to ensure that Sandwell has a strong, healthy and resilient Sector where new and established community activities can flourish.
The lives of people in Sandwell will be happier and healthier where the Voluntary and Community Sector works closely with partners to identify and satisfy community needs. Our Mission SCVO will support the Voluntary and Community Sector to grow and develop, and will support the sector to forge strong links with communities and partners. Our Aims
• Bring together local voluntary and community groups to promote and develop the effectiveness of local voluntary action.
• Raise the quality of and provide a wide range of services, information, advice and support to the voluntary and community sector.
• Act as a channel for local groups to voice their opinions on local, regional and national issues and policy. • Identify real needs and develop services/initiatives to meet these needs. • Actively support the development of new and emerging groups and organisations.
• Contribute to bringing about positive change in Sandwell to achieve sustainable economic regeneration.
SCVO offers a range of guidance and support in delivering community activities and developing organisations; from nurturing the very first spark of an idea through to every subsequent step of the way. It might be, for example:
• Helping people to choose the most appropriate legal structure for their group and produce a governing document or set of rules;
• Information... so that groups can comply with charity law and best practice;
• Helping committee members to understand their roles, responsibilities and potential liabilities;
• Funding support...identification of appropriate funding sources, hands-on help with applications, financial accounting and planning.
SCVO hosts a variety of different opportunities for you to meet with others from groups similar to yours as well as those in statutory agencies such as the Council, Health and Police. From voluntary sector breakfast meetings, to Strategic Forums around Health and Social Care, Children and Young People and a Voluntary Sector Leaders Forum – if you want to make connections in Sandwell and understand who’s who as well as how you might help influence local decisions - we can help you to navigate this.