Curzon Cinema and Arts

Curzon Cinema and Arts

At a glance

Causes

  • Arts

Other details

Organisation type: 
Charity
Geographical remit: 
Local

Objectives

The Curzon’s history has been intertwined with Clevedon’s for over 100 years. Unlike many cinemas built in the heyday of early silents and Hollywood, the Grade II listed building has always been a cinema, never closing its doors to film-goers.

Purpose-built in 1912 by local entrepreneur Victor Cox, The Picture House, as it was called then, opened 5 days after the Titanic disaster, with a fundraiser for relatives of the victims.

The neo-classical architecture, the tin panelling that decorates the interior, and the detail of the striking staircase to the balcony and boxes is the reason for the Curzon’s Grade II listing. Threatened with closure in 1996, the cinema was saved thanks largely to local support, and now flourishes under the ownership of the community.

This building has survived two world wars and the dawn of the digital age: and is the oldest, continually running, purpose-built, independent cinema in the country, (with one of the longest descriptors!)  entertaining audiences from 1912 to the present day.

Activities

We run a year round programme of screenings and live events for everyone in our local community. We also manage a significant archive and find opportunities for people to use it to learn about the history of film and the cinema. 

No current opportunities

Search for volunteer opportunities with other organisations.