Organisation: Home-Start Slough
|Location||Slough, Berkshire, SL1 7JZ|
|Where the role is based||Mainly at home|
|Travel limit||50 miles|
Home-Start Slough is an empowering, visionary family support service built on trusted relationships and rooted in the community. Looking forward, we are ambitious for our future and looking for Trustees who can help us grow and develop.
This is a key role with the following responsibilities:
- Management accounts: Preparation quarterly or more regularly as necessary accounts for presentation to trustees at management and committee meetings
- Statutory accounts: managing review and approval of accounts; ensuring delivered to Companies House in order to meet statutory timetable
- Cash forecasting – 3 -9 month short term
- Cash management and control: Bank account management
- Annual Budget preparation and review
- Payroll & pension administration: ensuring payments are made on timely basis
- Bid support – support other trustees with financial elements of bids
- Reporting to funders – ad hoc as required
- Internal controls – ensuring robust treasury controls are maintained
- To support Trustees to improve commerciality of the charity and keep focus on ensuring deployment of funds in the most economic manor
- Review the cashbook on monthly basis and provide support to HSS Ltd staff who manage day to day bookkeeping
- Manage relationship with external payroll provider and external accountant
- Other treasury support e.g. cheque signatory, ensuring any excess funds are appropriately controlled
Present to charity stakeholders performance of the charity at the AGM
- To ensure that the scheme complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the scheme, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of Home-Start and the scheme.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the scheme.
- To ensure the financial stability of the scheme.
- To protect and manage the assets of the scheme and to ensure the proper investment of scheme funds.
- To ensure the scheme complies with the Quality Assurance standards and criteria relating to financial management.
- Financial management
Key skills requirements are:
- Financial Accountant
- Business skills
- Passion and commitment.
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve:
- scrutinising board papers
- leading discussions
- focusing on key issues
- providing guidance on new initiatives
- other issues in which the trustee has specific expertise
- sitting on recruitment, discrimination and grievance panels as required
- contributing to sub committees and working groups.
It is therefore important that the candidate has a broad range of skills and criteria
What impact the opportunity will have
This is a very important role within our charity. Financial management and financial sustainability ensures that we can continue to provide our services to our beneficiaries.
Home-Start Slough support makes transformational differences to families. Any trustee who joins our team plays a significant part in ensuring we are able to make these differences.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
We are at a crossroads in our development. Our ambitions for the future are great. You will help us play a pivotal role in our development and sustainability.
Either in or out of office hours
Board meetings are every 6 weeks. Some support is needed outside of these Board meetings to prepare the accounts.