The Movements Trust (TMT) is a new charity (UK 1194447), founded in 2021 to work with social movements at the intersection of the environmental, economic and social sectors, and exists to amplify their impact and influence.
Our goal is to create the conditions for effective and sustainable people-powered systemic change.
Through our collaboration we develop and maintain:
By investing in and developing these capabilities, we build the capacity of people-powered movements to create the systemic change where it is needed.
The responsibilities of trustees cover governance, strategy, leadership and performance management.
Specific duties are:
1. To ensure that the charity complies with its Memorandum and Articles of Association, Charity Law, Company Law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
2. To ensure that the charity pursues its charitable objects as defined in its Mem of Arts and applies its resources exclusively to the pursuance of those objectives.
3. To contribute actively to the strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
4. To safeguard the good name and values of the charity and the confidentiality of discussions.
5. To ensure that any possible conflicts of interest are declared and managed in an open and transparent manner.
6. To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the charity.
7. To ensure the financial stability of the charity.
8. To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of the charity’s funds.
9. To appoint the executive officer and to monitor her/his performance.
10. In addition, each trustee should use any specific knowledge or experience she or he may have to help the Board of Trustees to reach sound decisions.
Trustee person specification
✔ A commitment to the aims, objectives and values of The Movement’s Trust
✔ The ability to analyse information and where necessary challenge constructively, demonstrating good independent judgement
✔ An understanding and acceptance of legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship
✔ The ability to work effectively as a member of a team and communicate effectively
✔ Ability to commit regular time to the role of trustee that includes meeting attendance, pre-reading and ad-hoc discussion/meetings. Meetings take place via remote platforms, with some in-person meetings
We would particularly welcome those who can demonstrate expertise in one or more of the following areas;
✔ Grant-making and grant management, particularly with experience in innovative ways to support movement building and channel more funds to those not normally within the activism space
✔ Income generation across a range of donors/foundations/social investors
Social movements are growing in number, scale and scope. However, many lack support and infrastructure, and whilst funders are increasingly realising the importance of social movements, many lack the ability to secure funding and face many barriers. For example, grant makers will often only fund registered charities.
Currently we are
We currently have a small Board, and are now looking to recruit additional trustees and would like to hear from candidates who share our passion and vision, and who can bring both energy and expertise to our new organisation.
As a Movements Trust trustee, you will be taking on an important role at the charity, helping to set our strategic vision; overseeing governance and operations; and acting as an ambassador for our work
Please share a CV and a cover note telling us why you would like to join The Movements Trust.