We are a learning disabled advocacy charity that supports people to speak up on issues that matter that to them and improve their lives. We seek a treasurer to help ensure good financial management and oversight
Brighton and Hove Speak Out is an advocacy and rights charity. Last year we supported nearly 400 people with learning disabilities to speak up about things that matter that to them and improve their lives. We are currently seeking volunteer trustees to join our Board to help us further extend our reach and impact.
We would welcome applications who have a financial background who wishes to take on the role of Treasurer
About Brighton and Hove Speak Out
Brighton and Hove Speak Out works alongside people with learning disabilities to make sure that their voices are heard. We support people to develop skills and confidence to address the issues and discrimination they face which includes poor health outcomes, reduced access to services and high levels of social isolation and deprivation. Our projects help people with learning disabilities to build peer networks to reduce isolation, solve issues and ultimately lead fuller and richer lives. As a trustee, you will play a key role.
We need a Treasurer with the following qualities and experience
● Qualified accountant (or significant financial experience) supported by demonstrable commercial awareness and knowledge
● Proven ability to analyse, communicate and explain financial information and consequences in a clear and accessible way
● A Team orientated approach to problem solving and to management
● Excellent analytical and evaluative skills, demonstrating both sound judgement and the willingness to make unpopular recommendations to the Board
● Committed to Speak Out’s work
● Experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes
o In addition to Finance and Accounting skills, experience in one or more areas; strategic planning, business management, learning disabilities, comms and campaigning, Trusts or other grant giving bodies particularly fund raising and legal knowledge
● Willingness to act as an ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies
Becoming a Charity Trustee is a Powerful Way to Contribute to Your Local Community. By working with Speak Out, you will help to ensure that people with learning disabilities in Brighton and Hove will get the support they need to stand up for their rights, get their voices heard, address problems they face, and live fulfilling lives.
As a Treasurer, you will be able to use your accountancy and financial skills and experience to ensure that Brighton and Hove Speak Out is financially sound and able to continue our work to improve the lives of local people with learning disabilities.
We will also ask candidates to send an expression of interest via Reach outlining how they meet the personal skills and attributes and why they would be a good trustee for Speak Out.