The Trustees are looking to increase the size of the Board and need the following support: Fundraising Trustee to assist with funding support for the redevelopment of the building, grounds & equipment.
Direct report Works closely with the Chair and the Board of Trustees and the Redevelopment Steering Group
Background Fundraising, Charity Governance, Finance
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
All Trustees have the following generic responsibilities:
• Contribute actively to the Board of Trustees' role in giving strategic direction to the Charity, setting overall strategy and policy, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
• Ensure the financial stability of the organisation and the proper investment of the Charity's funds
• Ensure the Charity applies its resources exclusively in pursuing its objectives
• Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the Charity
• Safeguard the good name and values of the Charity
• Declare any conflict of interest while carrying out the duties of a Trustee
• Be collectively responsible for the actions of the Charity and other Trustees
• Participate in other tasks as arise from time to time, such as interviewing new staff, helping with fundraising
• Attend meetings and sub-committee meetings as appropriate and read papers in preparation for the meeting
• Keep informed about the activities of the Charity and wider issues which affect its work
• Use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions. This will involve scrutinising Board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, and providing advice and guidance requested by the Board on new initiatives, or other issues, to the area of the Charity's work in which the Trustee has special expertise
In addition to the generic duties and responsibilities of a Trustee, the specific responsibilities of the Fundraising Trustee relate to being the Chair of the Fundraising Committee, and will entail the following:
• To have a solid background as a Fundraiser in the charity / 3rd sector with a sound understanding and experience of charity fundraising at strategic and operational levels
• Bring overall leadership and drive as the Chair of the Fundraising Committee ensuring the development of the overall governance of the Charity’s fundraising and communications functions, working closely with the Chair & Trustees
• To ensure that there is the right breadth and depth of fundraising and communications skills on the Fundraising Committee, with access to the right networks, in order that the Charity is in the best possible position to develop and deliver high quality strategies in fundraising, marketing and communications
Time commitment and location
The Phoenix Canoe Club & Outdoor Centre are going through steady growth and a new building is being planned for 2021. The Trustees are in need of strong leadership and direction on the fundraising required for the next exciting phase of our growth including a multi-million pound redevelopment.
This is an opportunity to help support a friendly organisation working with the public, local schools, youth and community groups to help focus on providing a purpose built centre for our user groups and members for now and the future.