Organisation: Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell
|Location||Epsom, Surrey, KT18 5AG|
|Where the role is based||Mainly at home|
|Travel limit||20 miles|
We are looking for talented new trustees . If you have good business skills we would like to hear from you.
We welcome people of all ages, backgrounds and professional experience who are passionate about advice services and can bring new ideas, different perspectives and sound judgement.
Our trustees are all volunteers, many of whom live in the local community, and all of whom use their skills, knowledge and experience to help guide and govern our service, shape strategy, and give direction to the organisation.
This includes making sure that Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell is:
- doing what it was set-up to do such as offering high quality advice services to the local community.
- complying with the law, including upkeep of premises, insurance, recruitment and equipment.
- securing money to meet current and new demands, and ensuring that all funds are used responsibly.
- recognised and valued by local organisations, funders and people who are aware of the vital service we provide.
Although mainly a strategic role, the opportunity will involve some hands-on work and is best suited to applicants with the time and energy needed to be an active Board member.
Trustees are expected to attend regular meetings of the Board (our governing body) and also to get involved in other ways such as chairing meetings, leading governance projects, supporting fundraising, developing strategy, overseeing the review of HR procedures, working with staff and volunteers on research and campaigning projects etc.
- Financial management
- Business development
- Fundraising strategy
- Marketing strategy
- General management
We would particularly like to hear from applicants with good business skills such as HR, financial management, marketing, business development, fundraising or equalities and diversity, and a willingness to give time and commitment to an influential and well respected local charity.
We are looking for people with strategic vision, independent judgement, and a willingness to give time and commitment to being a trustee. Strong candidates will have these personal skills and qualities:
- Commitment to the aims, principles and policies of Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell including those relating to equal opportunities, independence and research and campaigns.
- Willingness and ability to act in the best interests of Citizens Advice Epsom & Ewell
- Ability to understand and accept their responsibilities and liabilities as trustees and employers
- Effective communication skills and willingness to participate actively in discussion
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, and exercise good, independent judgement
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
What impact the opportunity will have
New people with different skillsets and experience will add more diversity to the Board. New skills and different perspectives will strengthen the Board and improve its support to the organisation.
As one of our trustees your contribution will help to ensure that the organisation is run and governed effectively and that it’s well equipped to provide advice and information to clients.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
Working together, our trustees are responsible for guiding and governing the organisation, ensuring that it’s doing what it was set up to do, complying with the law and using funds responsibly. Being a trustee is an important role but you won’t be alone in carrying it out; you'll join a friendly and professional team comprising a small number of paid staff and more than 80 volunteers who give up their time to help their local community. You will also feel that you are making a difference and helping to make our society a fairer, more equal place.
Either in or out of office hours
Our Trustee Board meets quarterly. In addition, we have several small sub-committees and groups.
Our Board has several small sub-committees and groups including HR, Finance, and Operations Strategy, one of which you may be invited to join depending on your skills and interests. Some of our trustees have responsibility for specific areas of activity while others take on project work and ad hoc tasks.
Additional application instructions
If you would like to chat about things before applying, please express your interest via Reach using the "ask a question" function.