HALOW (Birmingham) is seeking to appoint new trustees to drive our charity forward and help shape our future. We’re looking for people with energy, commitment and expertise to strengthen our charity at a time of new opportunities.
About our Charity
HALOW (Birmingham) has been supporting prisoners’ families for over 30 years. We have a long and successful track record working with prison establishments across the West Midlands running visitors’ centres and initiatives that strengthen family ties throughout the prison sentence and beyond.
The Board of Trustees are responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the HALOW (Birmingham), developing the organisations aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document, legal and regulatory guidelines.
About the Role
As a Trustee you will play a vital role in the growth and development of our rehabilitation projects. You will use your skills, passion and experience to help the charity thrive, enabling us to continue to strengthen family ties during and after a family member’s prison sentence.
Commitment, engagement and reliability are essential to this challenging and rewarding opportunity.
We would particularly welcome applications from people with skills and experience in:
Our Trustees can expect a time commitment of:
An exciting opportunity to gain experience with a charity working at the forefront of the Criminal Justice System.
We are seeking skilled individuals who are passionate about improving the criminal justice system and raising the profile of HALOW (Birmingham) and who are able to give their time, commitment, engagement and reliability.
Above all, you will be passionate about supporting prisoners’ families and their children.
We are particularly looking for individuals to provide oversight in one or all of the following areas:
To work alongside our P/T Finance Manager to interpret financial data and give strategic direction to the Board.
1) Ability to interpret management Accounts
2) Able to advise on project costings
3) Able to lead on Board on financial risk/sustainability
To oversee and develop a fund-raising strategy for the Charity that includes both government statutory funding and grants from Charitable Trusts and reporting progress regularly to the Board of Trustees.
1) Able to create project plans; use previous project reports/case studies/charity history to build evidence of need
2) Time to volunteer outside Board meetings
3) Good bid writing skills
4) Initiative to look at new income generation routes (e.g. social enterprise/training etc)
Marketing, Digital and Communications
To oversee, develop and implement a strategic marketing and communications plan for the Charity in conjunction with management and the board. Promoting the charity to ensure it is communicating effectively and regularly with its stakeholders and partners.
1) Knowledge of website development/updating
2) Ability to write content from material provided
3) Able to see how digital solutions can be integrated into forward planning for the charity
4) Ability to oversee Twitter/Facebook etc for charity if this is the direction we need to follow
5) Ability to liaise and communicate with media, partners and wider VCS sector
The HALOW (Birmingham) board is seeking to update its skills set through recruiting trustees to support the charity as it navigates changing external landscapes in the way that services are delivered.
As a Trustee you will play a vital role in the growth and development of our rehabilitation projects and sustainability of the organisation. You will use your skills, passion and experience help the charity thrive, enabling us to continue to strengthen family ties during and after a family member’s prison sentence and making a real difference to the lives of prisoners and their families.
We are seeking trustees so that we can:
1) strengthen the Board of Trustees to enable the charity to continue to grow and develop, playing its role alongside others to support prisoners’, their families and significant others through custody through to resettlement.
2) To achieve sustainability utilising diverse income streams that enable the charity to increase sources of unrestricted funding and achieve the Reserves target of 3 months operating costs.
3) To fill identified skills gaps to enable the charity to fulfil its objectives
4) To aid and prepare the charity for challenges and opportunities ahead in a fast-paced and increasingly competitive environment
You will make a real difference to the future of HALOW (Birmingham) and help shape the charity to ensure we are best placed to deliver services in a changing world.
We expect this role to provide a great deal of experience and professional insight into working for a front-line charity delivering services to the Criminal Justice Sector. It will develop your skills in either finance, fundraising or marketing and enable you to adapt your professional knowledge to new scenarios. You will develop your strategic thinking and visioning; gain an understanding of the Criminal Justice System and services for prisoners and their families.
This role provides an intellectual challenge as well as the opportunity to make a real difference to the lives and futures of families of prisoners and ex-offenders.